Friday, June 11, 2010

Gym

In vain efforts (hopefully not) in trying to lose weight/stay in shape or whatever one may call it, I have recently frequent the gym. Yes. The gym. The place where not only will you find a truckload full of sweaty (but hot) and stinky (but gorgeous) and very very motivated people.

To be honest, I loath the very idea of going to the gym after months of not working out. It just requires so much effort of walking to uni, changing into your gym clothes, tahan malu while you pant when doing cardio and most of all, the stares that you think you're getting (the oh-my-god-i can't-believe-you-waited-till-now-to-join-the-gym-stare).

However, after a few weeks, I find all that no longer obstacles. Once you've put yourself in a routine, it gets to be very effortless and you crave for that after work out endorphin after a long day at uni. Don't get me wrong, I still find it intimidating to be surrounded by all these toned looking people around me who seem like they don't actually need the work out in the first place, but they must have started from somewhere, no?

So from one struggling person to another perhaps struggling person trying very hard to stay in shape, let me tell you that it is really not that bad. The first few days may seem like it's the hardest but it gets better and better. I personally had to force myself to go everyday, and to be honest, I've even skimped once in a while. Though, here's a tip.

As much as you want to lose weight so bad, don't push yourself too much until you don't enjoy working out. Let's say, if you find 30 minutes of cardio too much for you, try doing 10 first at a lower speed, and then you slowly increase. If you think 10 minutes is all you are able to do, then that's okay. What's important is that you slowly test your stamina. Set a target, as that helps me a lot. Tell yourself that "Okay, today, I'll do 10 minutes. But if I find myself still okay after 10 minutes, maybe I'll push it a bit further to 15 minutes".

Staying in shape takes effort, that's a given. Gym on the other hand is not the only option. If you are the outdoorsy type, briskwalk for 45 minutes everyday and trust me you will see results. I guess the most important thing would be to stick to your routine and schedule. Once you take a time out, it will be really hard to get back on that boat.

As for now, I'm nowhere near being a runner or a jogger or having the body of a model. I still need a lot of work done, a lot. However, I tell myself that instead of watching tv and wishing you could be that person, wearing those clothes, I am in my own way doing something about it. So it's never too late people!

Of course, it's not just about losing weight. That is a bonus in fact. Most importantly, you put in extra effort to stay healthy and indulge in positive activities. After all, positive attitude encourages positive mind, no? As corny as that may sound, it truly works :)

So good luck and work that butt!

No comments:

Post a Comment