Thursday, August 19, 2010

Tattoos anyone?

In class earlier this week, we talked about body modifications; tattoos, lipo, all the works basically. Oh yes, my subject is called "Hot bodies, Cool flesh, sex, race and culture". Sounds interesting? It is interesting! Except when the tutor went on for an hour about the progress of Foucault, which got a bit boring. I mean, I'm a big fan of Foucault, but not when she reads them out from the reader, which we were supposed to read at our own time.

Anyway, suprisingly, most of the people in my class (most of them are about 18-23), would only go as far as getting a tattoo, although one said she'd probably would get a lip injection but only if she didn't have to pay for it. My classmates (skema jugak sebenarnya) were going on and on about how it's ethically wrong to modify your body and how dangerous it can get. Tattoo-ing for example, could get out of hand. Some get really addicted to the pain, more than the designs, that they end up tattooing their whole body. Results? I won't call it art. I guess, if my religion were to allow me to get a tattoo, I probably would have a think about it, because just imagine how cute and sexy would it be to have a little butterfly on the small of your back? Though, I really think there are a lot of other things to be taken into account as well.

1) You're spending hundreds and possibly thousands of ringgit/dollars to have a little thing stamped on your body.
2) You probably would want it done on a place where people can see, but then what if you grow old and that design doesn't really suit you anymore?
3) Which brings you to think about getting it taken out, which is going to cost more money.
4) Or if the design tattoo-ed on is wrong, you'd be depressed forever.
5) It's painful.

And so much more. That is just my opinion by the way. I do have friends who have tattoos and they look great. I guess for me, it's like piercing your tongue or eyebrows (which I really really wanted to do once, but too chicken shit to do it). It's in for a while, but for how long can it last?
Though sometimes, I wish I was more daring and just had it done anyway, and prepare for the wrath from the parentals.

Body modification when taken to a higher degree is not something to be taken lightly, especially when doing it for the benefit of someone else. I bet you've all heard about the "Cat Lady" whose husband/partner (not too sure) have a fetish with things that are cat-like, and so she had her face done to look just like a cat. Imagine really high stretched cheekbones, catty eyes and wide mouth. The only thing missing are whiskers. Or what about people who tattoo their eyes? Personal satisfaction can only go so far. A statement however, tells you that there is something significant missing in your life, that you need to prove to people, that you can pull anything off. As much as I'd like to admire that spirit, I sometimes find it foolish and self deprecating.

So people, the next time you're thinking about doing something new to yourself, try cutting or dying your hair, a new set of make-up perhaps or possibly a much safer alternative : Henna. It's safe, it's pretty and it's super cheap too!

No comments:

Post a Comment